Salar de Uyuni & San Pedro
Stay in a Salt Hostel
Add a dash of luxury to your altiplano adventure with our nature-packed journey through Northern Chile and Bolivia. Encounter geysers, volcanoes, native animals, traditional villages, and the mystical beauty of Bolivia’s gem, Uyuni Salt Flats. This bucket-list destination offers ethereal beauty in bounds.
What You'll See
Bolivian High Plateau (Altiplano)
High Plateau Lakes of Honda, Chirarcota, Hedionda, & Cañapa
Uyuni Salt Flats
Tree of Stone
Flamingoes, Vicuñas, & Other Wild Animals
Salvador Dalί & Siloli Deserts
Click the Tabs to Learn More
340,000 CLP | 495 USD
7:30am from San Pedro
4 days | 3 nights
Your hotel or San Pedro city center
In Bolivian winter (January – February), rain may result in changes in certain details of the route for safety reasons.
Min 4 | Max 25
- All transfers
- Food (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- Comfortable accommodation (double rooms in family hotels and a salt hostel)
- Entrance to the parks in Bolivia
- Hotel pick-up in San Pedro de Atacama
- Shared transport (minibus in Chile and 4×4 for six people in Bolivia)
- Spanish-speaking driver & English-speaking guide
What to Bring
- Comfortable and warm clothing
- Comfortable shoes (ideally for hiking)
- Swimsuit and towel (for Polques Hot Springs)
- Toilet paper
- Water (1 liter per person for the first day. You can buy it on the road during the rest of the tour)
- Sleeping bag (we also rent them)
- Passport or ID card. If you are a foreign resident in Chile, you should bring both to present them at customs
- At least 250 Bs. for mandatory expenses on the tour (taxes, certain bathrooms in the national parks, and extra water)
About the Guides
An English-speaking guide will accompany you from San Pedro, and a local driver and guide will accompany you in Bolivia.
Your Altiplano Adventure Awaits
Day 1: Begin Your Altiplano Adventure
Awaken bright and early at 7:30am to begin your altiplano adventure! We’ll make our way from San Pedro de Atacama to Bolivia’s frontier in a comfortable minibus, stopping by immigration offices in Chile and Bolivia. Our first day is jam-packed with fantastic sites, so once we reach the Bolivian border, we’ll transfer to a 4WD Jeep and head straight for the Bolivian High Plateau. This dramatic landscape is otherworldly with wide-open spaces, towering mountains, crystal lakes, and exotic wildlife. Our first stop is at White Lake and Green Lake, both situated at the foot of Licancabur Volcano. Don’t forget your camera for the breathtaking scenes awaiting you! Our journey then continues with a visit to the Salvador Dalί Desert, the hot springs in Polques, and the steaming geysers. We’ll end the day at Laguna Colorada, a nesting center for more than 30,000 flamingos. Situated 14,764 feet (4500 m) above sea level, this is the perfect place to witness colorful flora and fauna, vicuñas, and many other wild animals.
Day 2: Witness the Beauty of High Plateau Lakes
After breakfast we’ll make our way to the Siloli Desert to observe the “Tree of Stone”, a large impressive rock of volcanic origin, before heading to the high plateau lakes of Honda, Chirarcota, Hedionda, and Cañapa. With reflective lakes, mountains towering at 16,400 feet (5000m) above sea level, wild vicuñas, and vivid flamingos, this remote paradise is bound to take your breath away. Afterwards, we’ll visit the little Chiguana Salt Flat at San Juan Village where we’ll stop at the Salt Hotel, made entirely of salt bricks, for an overnight stay in double rooms with private bathrooms.
Day 3: Visit Bolivia’s Gem, Uyuni Salt Flats
Today we’ll visit the gem of Bolivia’s natural splendor! Departing at 6:00am from your hotel, we’ll make our way to the world’s largest salt flat, Salar de Uyuni. Once a lake which went dry, Salar de Uyuni features otherworldly, blinding white landscapes and makes for an unforgettable experience. While at the flats, we’ll also visit Incahuasi Island in the center of the Salar Flat which is characterized by a formation of calcareous rocks and, of course, plenty of cacti! Next we’ll visit Colchani Village to browse souvenir stalls and explore the salt museum, which boasts salt sculptures and is made entirely of salt! We’ll arrive at Uyuni City around 3pm to explore and relax for a couple of hours before a return transfer towards a High Plateau Village called Villa Mar for a night’s stay.
Day 4: Departure Day
Unfortunately, today is the final day of the tour, and it’s time to return to San Pedro! We’ll leave at 4:30am in a direct transfer to the Bolivian frontier (around a four-hour drive). At the border we’ll change cars to return to San Pedro de Atacama. We hope you’ll leave this tour with fond memories of an exceptional altiplano experience!
- Our guides can speak English, Spanish, and German
- Please let us know in advance if you have any medical conditions so that we can be fully prepared for the tour
- Please let us know if you have any dietary requirements. We can cater to vegetarians and vegans if you let us know in advance
- Flecha Extrema aims to be as inclusive as possible because the beauty of Chile should be accessible to all. Please get in touch if you have a group with special requirements, and we will try our best to accommodate your needs
- Flecha Extrema is not responsible for lost items